The Benefits of Preventive Care
Posted by Cozy Cabin Dental on Mar 9 2021, 10:43 PM
Issues related to health are unwanted guests that will occur when there is a lack of attention. A lot of people consult a dentist only when they feel discomfort or pain. Still, the reality is, most of the issues related to dental health will only show up when they are in extreme condition. To stay healthy, we must be proactive in our approach to our health and give enough attention to it. If you are wondering why you should follow preventive dental care, this article explains to you in detail?
Preventive dentistry is dental care that helps maintain good oral health. This is a unique combination of regular dental check-ups and the development of good dental habits like brushing and flossing.
There are majorly three types of standard preventive dentistry services, and they are:
- Teeth cleaning
- Routine X-rays
- Regular oral exams
It's the biggest myth if you think visiting a dentist every once in a while is all that comes under preventive care. In reality, preventive dentistry starts with us. We mean that developing good dental habits like brushing and flossing can also contribute to preventive dentistry.
Apart from this, let us discuss some of the good basic practices that we need to follow:
- Brush your teeth twice a day. This habit makes sure the food particle stuck in your teeth will be washed out. It is also recommended to use soft bristles brush and fluoride toothpaste which is good for your oral health.
- Floss daily to clean the food that's stuck between teeth at areas where the brush can't reach.
- Always use a mouthwash to rinse out food particles after flossing.
- Avoid sugary or acidic foods that can affect tooth enamel.
- Be cautious while chewing or biting hard foods, like ice cubes, some candies, foods with bones, seeds, etc., that could damage teeth.
- Reduce the use of smoke or tobacco products, as it can lead to dental problems.
- Many people have a habit of grinding their teeth at night. If you have such a habit, consult your dentist and ask him/her for a nighttime mouth guard to help reduce gum recession.
- Try avoiding acidic food that can harm tooth enamel.
- If you are a sports enthusiast, use a mouthguard when engaged in a sports activity.
One can encounter many benefits in preventive dentistry like it lowers the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and more serious dental problems. Moreover, it also helps in promoting good oral habits.
Preventive dentistry is an integral part of our health care, so taking a proactive approach can put you in an advantageous position.