How Do I Get Rid of Bad Breath?
Posted by Cozy Cabin Dental on Feb 7 2022, 08:14 AM
Many of us check our breath to see if it is less than fresh. After all, who wants to have bad breath? Having foul-smelling breath is more than just an embarrassment and at times can cost us our social and professional relationships.
You can also consult Dr. Gardois and his team at Cozy Cabin Dental in Jordan, Utah, regarding this problem and receive solutions on how to eliminate it forever. Keep reading to learn how you can prevent and get rid of bad breath.
Know the Cause
Bad breath is usually a result of the following reasons:
- Food debris caught in the mouth, especially those with pungent smells
- Cracked or broken fillings
- Gum disease or infections
- Decayed or abscessed teeth
- Poor oral hygiene
- Excessive fasting and low-carb diets
- Coated tongue
- Infected tonsils
- Dry mouth
- Metabolic disorders or gastrointestinal diseases
Ways to Prevent Bad Breath
Once the cause of bad breath is established, it becomes easier to treat. Here is how you can permanently get rid of this issue:
- Practicing good oral hygiene is one of the most effective ways to prevent bad breath and gum disease. Brush your teeth for a minimum of two minutes and make sure your brush reaches every corner of your mouth.
- The grooves and crevices on your tongue make it easy for bacteria to fester. Make sure you brush your tongue every day, too.
- Flossing daily helps remove food caught between your teeth. This is the food that you may not easily catch while brushing.
- If you wear dental appliances like dentures, clean them regularly as advised by your dentist.
- Quit smoking and reduce your caffeine intake.
- Drink plenty of water during the day to keep your mouth hydrated. Snack on crispy veggies and fruits. Chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva production and prevent a dry mouth.
- Replace your toothbrush every 12-16 weeks.
- Chew mint, fennel, or cilantro after every meal to keep your breath smelling great, especially after you have eaten foods containing garlic and onions.
- Make regular appointments with your dentist so you can treat dental issues like cavities and gum disease that cause bad breath early on.
While some of these tips can be adopted easily at home, for some you may need to visit the dentist. Our team of professional dental care providers is well trained and will make you feel at ease. To make an appointment, call us at (801) 871-5820. You can also visit our clinic at 3755 W 7800 S, West Jordan, Utah 84088.